“Life is given to you to invest in yourself. It’s given to you to do everything humanly possible. Try new things and be better than you were yesterday.” – Dr Judy Dlamini
Table of Contents
|1||Who is Dr Judy Dlamini?|
|2||Dr Judy Dlamini Profile|
|3||Education and Qualifications|
|4||Judy Dlamini’s Husband|
|5||Judy Dlamini’s Son|
|6||Judy Dlamini’s Daughter|
|7||Judy Dlamini Quotes|
|8||Judy Dlamini’s Books|
Who is Judy Dlamini?
- Dr Judy Dlamini is a South African entrepreneur, business leader, author and medical doctor.
- She is the Founder and Executive Chairman of the Mbekani Group, which owns Luminance and the Jimmy Choo store in Sandton City.
- Judy Dlamini is the author of “Equal but Different” and “The Other Story”.
- She is the Chancellor of the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits).
- Dr Judy is a non-executive director at the SA SME Fund.
- She is the Co-Founder and Trustee of the Mkhiwa Trust, a public benefit organisation that her family uses for social investment.
- She is also the Co-Founder and a Director at the Sifiso Learning Group, alongside her husband.
- She was the Chairman of Aspen Pharmacare Limited and CEPPWAWU Development Trust.
- Dr Judy Dlamini was also on the boards of Anglo American PLC, Discovery Holdings, Woolworths Holdings, Northam Platinum, Gijima Ast Holdings Ltd, RRL Holdings Ltd, Imithi Investment and more.
Judy Dlamini Profile
- Real names: Nobuhle Judith Dlamini (Nxasana)
- Date of birth: 6th July 19579
- Judy Dlamini age: 60 years
- Place of birth: Westville, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa
- Parents: Rita (nee Ngwane) Dlamini (Mother), and Thomas Charles Dumezweni Dlamini (Father)
- Nationality: South African
- Marital status: Married
- Partner: Sizwe Errol Nxasana (62 years old)
- Profession: Business professional, director, and medical professional
- Years active: 1985 to present
- Famous for: Founder at Mbekani Group, first female Chancellor at University of the Witwatersrand, and former Chairman of Aspen Pharmacare Limited
- Judy Dlamini Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/judynxasana (Account is Private)
- Judy Dlamini LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/judy-dlamini-71b11912
- Twitter: @judydlamini
- Website: https://equalbutdifferent.com
Judy Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) from the University of Natal
- Diploma in Occupational Health from University of Free State (UFS)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of the Witwatersrand
- Doctor of Business Leadership (DBL) from the University of South Africa (UNISA)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate from Stanford University
Sizwe Nxasana – Dr Judy’s Husband
- Sizwe Nxasana is Judy Dlamini’s husband. He is a prominent South African business leader and a chartered accountant – CA(SA). He has served in executive leadership across different companies. He served as the CEO of FirstRand Limited, and of Telkom SA Limited.
- Judy and Sizwe have known each other since they were teenagers. They got married in 1983 while Judy was in medical school. These lovebirds are inseparable. Over the years, they started a number of business ventures together e.g. Future Nations Schools and Sifiso Publishers.
Judy Dlamini’s son
- On 3 February 2012, Dr Judy Dlamini’s son, Sizwe Nxasana, passed away due to ill health. Born on 22 June 1984, Sizwe Nxasana was 28 years old at the time of his death.
- In honour of Judy Dlamini’s son memory, Aspen established the Sifiso Nxasana Paediatric Trust for the Children of Africa to raise funds for paediatric healthcare facilities in South Africa. Aspen Group Chief Executive, Stephen Saad, cycled the tough 240km Aspen Trans Karoo race to raise funds for the trust. Former minister of health, Dr Aaron Motsweledi, joined the Aspen executive in the 240km mountain bike challenge. The ride took 16 hours to complete and Stephen Saad raised R10 million (at R40, 000 per km).
Judy Dlamini’s Daughter
- In 2015, Her daughter, Nkanyezi (nee Nxasana) Makhari, got married to Lufuno Makhari in Allee Bleue, Franschhoek.
- In 2018, Her daughter, Nkanyezi Nxasana Makhari, gave birth to her second child, increasing the number of Judy and Sizwe’s grandchildren to four.
Judy Dlamini Quotes about Life, dreams, failure and gender equality
- “You still have life. Make use of it. Life is given to you to do everything humanly possible. Make your life count for you, your family and the community that nurtured you.” – Dr Judy Dlamini
- “Dream, and continue to dream. Don’t stop. When you reach your first dream, create another one and another, till your days here are over” – Dr Judy Dlamini
- “Every five to ten years, I say ‘Okay, what’s next?” – Dr Judy Dlamini
- “I failed along the way. It was hard, but nothing worth anything is easy.” – Dr Judy Dlamini
- “Look at the JSE, it’s still very hard for women. We’re not there yet. We should never settle for less. Don’t get tired of fighting for what is right.Men and women need to keep changing the status quo for the better. We owe it to ourselves and our kids.” – Dr Judy Dlamini
*Quotes extracted from Sharpening Wits, an interview with Dr Judy Dlamini by Sue De Groot from Sunday Times.
Related Post: 20 Motivational Quotes from Dr Judy Dlamini
Judy Dlamini’s Books
- Equal but Different: Women Leaders’ Life Stories: Overcoming Race, Gender & Social Class
- The Other Story: A Fireside chat with African Achievers