15 Career Quotes From the “Lean In” Book
“I got pregnant with my first child in the summer of 2004. My pregnancy wasn’t easy. Morning sickness affected me every day for 9 months.” – Sheryl Sandberg
Sheryl Sandberg fell pregnant during her tenure as Vice President of Global Online Sales and Operations at Google. After a stressful day at work, she realised that pregnant women at Google needed reserved parking. So, she marched into her bosses’ office and made the bold request. They agreed and she learned an important lesson. This story is from her book, “Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead”, where she wrote about her experience as a female leader at Google and Facebook.
Published in 2013, “Lean In” was Sheryl Sandberg’s first book. The book has become an international best-seller, with over 4.2 million copies sold worldwide. According to Sheryl Sandberg, “Lean In” is a book for “any woman who wants to increase her chances of making it to the top of her field or pursue any goal vigorously”.
Here are 15 great quotes about women and career development from the book to inspire you to attain personal and career success.
Table of Contents
|1||Simple List Format: 15 Career Quotes From Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” Book|
|2||Image Gallery Format: 15 Career Quotes From Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” Book|
|3||About Sheryl Sandberg|
15 Career Quotes From Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” Book
- “Women need to shift from thinking ‘I’m not ready to do that’ to thinking ‘I want to do that – and I’ll learn by doing it’.”
- “We hold ourselves back by lowering our own expectations of what we can achieve.”
- “Without fear, women can pursue professional success and personal fulfilment.”
- “Increase your self-confidence, get your partner to do more at home and don’t hold yourself to unattainable standards.”
- “Career progression often depends upon taking risks and advocating for yourself.”
- “Taking risks, choosing growth, challenging ourselves, and asking for promotions are all important elements of managing a career”.
- “Everyone should have a long-term dream and an eighteen-month plan.”
- “Seeking out diverse experiences is useful preparation for leadership.”
- “At times, staying in the same functional area and in the same organization creates inertia and limits the opportunity to expand.”
- “The cost of stability is often diminished opportunities for growth.”
- “If you want the outcome to be different, you will have to do something about it.”
- “Knowing that things could be worse should not stop you from trying to make them better.”
- “Conditions for all women will improve when there are more women in leadership roles giving a strong and powerful voice to their needs and concerns.”
- “Adding more female voices at the highest levels will expand opportunities and extend fairer treatment to all.”
- “Getting rid of internal barriers is critical to us gaining power.”
Image Gallery: 15 Career Quotes From Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” Book
About Sheryl Sandberg
Sheryl Sandberg is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) at Facebook, Founder of LeanIn.Org, an Author, a billionaire and a mother of two. Sheryl has also worked as Vice President of Global Online Sales and Operations at Google, Chief of Staff at the United States Treasury Department, a Management Consultant at McKinsey & Company, and as an Economist with the World Bank. Sheryl is on various companies’ boards, including Facebook, Women for Women International, ONE, and SurveyMonkey.
Sheryl graduated from Harvard Business School with an MBA (with the highest distinction) and from Harvard University with a Bachelor of Arts (summa cum laude), majoring in economics. She is also conducting philanthropic work through the “Sheryl Sandberg & Dave Goldberg Family Foundation“, which she founded in honour of her late husband, Dave Goldberg. The Foundation works to build a more equal and resilient world through LeanIn.Org and OptionB.Org. In addition to “Lean In”, Sheryl is also the co-author of Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy with Adam Grant.